Opening Hours

Mon - Sat: 9AM - 6PM

Landlord Licensing is Raising Living Standards for the Tenants

Nottingham city council like other councils across England has introduced a Landlord licensing scheme. The scheme came into force on 1 August 2018. If you rent a property in Nottingham you’ll probably need a license. The scheme is estimated to cover over 30,000 privately rented homes in a designated area.

Nottingham Standards

Accreditation last for 3 year under the Nottingham Standard (Unipol or DASH).

Landlords who claimed a discount on their license fee as a result of being accredited must maintain their accreditation for the duration for their license or return the discount/pay the difference between the lower and standard fee if it lapses.

Selective Licensing

This is at the discretion of the borough and can affect all rental properties regardless of size, number of storeys, or number of occupants. For example, a council can instigate compulsory licensing of all residential rental properties within a street, ward or the whole borough.

Before granting a license, the local authority must be satisfied that the owner and any managing agent of the property is fit and proper to hold a license and that the property meets required physical standards.

If you are unsure whether your property requires a license, please contact the local council directly to obtain clarification, ideally in writing.

HMO (House in Multiple Occupation)

If your property is a traditional HMO, you can make one application for the whole property. HMOs are usually properties in which households share rooms or facilities, such as bedsits or shared houses. Any HMO which is three or more storeys high and is occupied by five or more persons may be subject to mandatory HMO licensing under Part 2 of the Housing Act 2004. You should contact the council for further advice if you are unsure as to which type of license you need.

Penalty of Failing to License

It is the owner’s responsibility to obtain a license and if they need to, nominate another person to be the license holder. The council can refuse to grant a license if the license holder detailed on the application is not suitable, under the criteria in the next section. If you do not license the property you can be prosecuted through the Magistrates’ Court. On conviction you may be required to re-pay rent you have been paid to the tenant or the local authority.

For more information:

Recommended Articles